Quilted Body Pillow Case

It’s finally done! I have mentally been working on this for a long time, however it took me two FULL days to complete it… over the course of a week, that is.

I started by cutting all my fabrics in one day. I stared at the pile on my table for a few days, then decided to finally begin laying it out.

After many layout changes came the sewing, which was a difficult task because it’s the largest thing I’ve ever sewn. As you can see, it was a serious late night event, sewing in the dark until 5am.

Then I backed it and quilted it. (I used an old ikea window curtain I had, which turned out out to be a perfect lightweight fabric for backing) Unfortunately, I was a bit upset about how it ended up looking curved… that’s completely unfixable, so I figured it would just have to work itself out.

Since I made the back an envelope case, I decided to add a strip of fabric to liven up the back in case I got so sick of the quilted crazy colors and wanted to flip it around. I like both sides.

And of course, no project is complete without Coco’s approval.

I will probably never be quilting anything ever again.

7 Responses

  1. Palak, that’s awesome!! I love your blog! :-) Hope all is well and we see you next quarter.

    October 17, 2010 at 8:06 pm

  2. Jen

    Palak! I really really really like your pillow cover. It came out great! I hope you like your new machine as well. ps…I think that’s a bunch of appliques, not quilting. You sure challenged yourself, i think that project looks harder than quilting! you are a superstar!!!!

    October 25, 2010 at 2:34 pm

  3. Thanks Jen. This is actually quilted though. I sewed the rows across in strips with 2 inch gray fabric between, and then together with long 1.5 inch strips of gray fabric, and that’s why the whole thing is curved. I should have appiqued the whole thing though, that would have made it much less crooked. Then I backed it onto the ikea curtain just to protect all the seams (per your suggestion). I actually did not post a really good close up of the project and have been getting a lot of random comments with confusion about it, so maybe I will post one soon!

    October 25, 2010 at 4:32 pm

  4. Jen

    def post more pictures. it looks like this was a ton of work. I just assumed it was appliqued because who would be crazy enough to sew all those tiny strips of grey – you would, that’s who!!!!! I think it looks just perfect. You did a stellar job. I really like it and I really like the color selection as well as the running bond pattern. :)

    October 25, 2010 at 6:05 pm

  5. Britta

    I want want this pillow case!! It’s awesome.

    December 8, 2010 at 11:27 am

  6. Lovely work! You’ve inspired me to create something similar. Keep a look out on http://saskatoonstitcher.wordpress.com for details. Thanks for sharing your beautiful work.

    April 21, 2012 at 10:58 am

  7. Cassandra

    I have to do a sewing project for me sewing class. Our teacher wants us to do pillows and I was wondering what the dimensions of the pieces were in your project because I really like the way it looks.

    December 19, 2014 at 10:22 am

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *